Now that you have determined that YouTube is the right fit for your department or organization, here are a few things to think about as you get started.
Create a Channel Strategy
Having a plan will help you reach your goals and set the overall tone for your channel so your subscribers know what to expect.
- Set some goals: Use your goals to shape the content on your channel to ensure it is useful and relevant.
- Share exclusive content: Post videos that take viewers behind the scenes or highlight a unique angle that distinguishes your department or organization. Try to upload at least one new video every week to keep your subscribers engaged and coming back for more.
- Learn how to make high-quality videos: If you put time and care into optimizing the production value of your videos, they will reach a larger audience. Take into consideration factors like lighting, framing, editing and audio to produce professional, HD videos that will grab the attention of your viewers.
- Monitor your channel daily: Set aside time throughout the day to monitor and respond to comments. Social media users expect quick responses to their questions and concerns.
Build Your Community
There are a number of ways to increase awareness and bring more people to your channel.
- Engage with your fans: Be responsive to any comments or questions they may have and take the opportunity to encourage feedback and dialogue.
- Promote: Add calls to action such as “Subscribe to Our Channel” with a link on flyers, emails and other promotional materials.
- Get Social: Use other social media profiles to promote your videos (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). The more places people see your videos, the more likely they are to subscribe.
- Stand Out: Uploading unique, compelling content will ultimately attract subscribers to your channel. Be creative and think outside the box. Great video examples: 1. Living on Campus at UCLA, 2. Pauley Pavilion’s Back, 3. Street Pianos at UCLA
- Add the YouTube Subscribe Button to your website: Make it easy for people to subscribe to your channel with just one click.
Learn and Grow
YouTube provides an Analytics Tool that allows you to track metrics for your channel. Using analytics, you can see:
- The channel’s growth in subscribers and views
- Top performing videos
- Engagement summaries
- Demographics on viewers
- Traffic sources